Saturday, March 23, 2013

His, Higher than Mine

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are My ways your ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water the eart, and naje ut bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall proster in the thing for which I sent it." - Isaiah 55:8-11

Well that's cool.

I have been reading and re-reading Isaiah 55 ever since I heard it in a Bible study this summer while I was in East Asia. We were asked, partway through the study, to tell everyone what parts stood out to us, and this section is mine. How many times do we see things in the world and question God's motive for things?

"God, why am I single?"
"God, I don't get why I didn't get that job. You knew I really needed it."
"Lord. What is up with the Batman screening shootings? Why does that happen?"

Sometimes He just does stuff. Sometimes that stuff doesn't make any sense to us. Sometimes we suffer a lot and it seems like God doesn't do the stuff He could do to make it better. Sometimes His decisions seems crazy or heartless or aloof, and we wonder what He is doing and why it happens to us?
But I think when we question Him we forget that above all, God is God. God is not our personal genie. He doesn't do us favors all the time. He blesses us when He wants to, and we rejoice when He does, but when He decides to let us go through something, we fall to pieces and doubt His providence. Are we fair-weather Christians? I hope I am not.
Because this section of verses explains a lot about His character. His thoughts are not our thoughts, and His ways are not our ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment