Monday, October 4, 2010

What to do now...

I'm so excited for life now, it's weird. Being able to have time off of life really helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my time. Time is the ultimate luxury, and having experienced an extreme lack of time last year, I'm really able to understand how valuable it is. I've had my bored moments, but I can always do something - I can go on a walk, I can write, I can draw, I can take pictures, I can take a road trip. I have the complete freedom to do anything, and it feels spectacular. However, since I need money and I like to feel productive, I am looking for a job, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go into customer service ever again. I've had that experience and it lasted as long as it needed to. I'm not one to inflict pain on myself, so I'm looking now for a dependable morning to afternoon job, with no nights, weekends, or holidays.

I know that this is possible because my sister, when she was younger, was fortunate enough to be invited to work at our dentist's office as a secretary/receptionist/cleaner/whatever else she did. She only worked a few days a week and never had to worry about nights or weekends or holidays, because the office would close early and honored the holidays. So right now I'm looking for a job in dentist offices, hospitals, clinics, something like that, where I can type, file, clean, whatever they need, as long as they have dependable morning to afternoon hours. I love working in the morning and I love having time off at night to go to Bible studies or hang out with friends, so I figure that I might as well just put two and two together. It will work out especially because I'm taking the semester off of school, so my days are open and I have no prior obligations. As much as I enjoyed school, I am feeling so fortunate to have been able to take time off.

I suggest to anyone reading this (I know I'm risking the wrath of all parents everywhere, but trust me, it's worth it if you've worked through high school) to take at least a semester of school off before you dive into real life. You've gone through 12 straight years of school, and it does a person good to take a break and grab some time off. Of course, I am coming at this from the angle that I needed time off, because I worked about 20-25 hours a week while spending most of my day on school anyways... I needed time to get some semblance of a social life. If you haven't worked in high school or played sports, then taking time off wouldn't really do much for you, because I'd be willing to bet you had every night and weekend and holiday free to do what you want, and I really believe in productivity. If you're not planning on going to school, you really should be working. There's a passage in Proverbs (I think) where Solomon talks about laziness vs working, and I know that God favors productivity, because the lazy person's character is generally lacking (no offense to anyone who's reading this... I'm the one sitting on my bum writing now instead of actually looking around for a job - I just know that productivity is extremely important).

Anyways... I guess I'm trying to say that I can't wait to get a job and be able to hang out at night with my friends. Wish me luck!

God bless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment